Thursday, 29 May 2014

Quality and quantity

I often get bombarded by my friends and family for diet advice along with a bunch of nutritional questions. This is not to due to a wide range of degrees or some nutrition qualification but simply because I have made the same changes they all want to accomplish, I have tried most things and found which works and which doesn't..... And I'm continually researching.


Getting back to my point... I feel as though I tend to repeat myself explaining and answering the same things. So I've come to the conclusion it is about quality as well as the quantity.


It’s great that you've already made that decision for a grilled chicken salad over a McDonald's big Mac. BUT we are all aware that a big heap of fat free Greek yoghurt is a no-no even though it’s better than a bowl full of ice-cream.  Bear with me I’ll explain what I mean.


After watching the television series ‘Secret Eaters’ I realised that most people have this mindset that because it’s a lighter option they can indulge more however this is not always the case. ‘Just because a food packet contains the words 'lower fat' or 'reduced fat' doesn't necessarily mean it's a healthy choice’ stated the NHS. 


Making those initial swaps is great but remembering not to overdo it is the answer, keeping both quality and quantity in mind. Whilst keeping an eye on the balance on your plate and not getting to fixated on things such as ‘good fats’ and going protein bonkers.


‘But there good fats’, that statement alone is one I hear very often. Take an avocado for an example, they are great and do contain ‘good fats’ but they are still high in monosaturated fats.  It’s the quantity as well as the quality of the fats you are consuming.


Some tips and tools....


Shelf checker: 


I recently took a friend food shopping with me and explained what I buy and why. After she picked up something that seemed ‘healthy’ I showed her to always look at the labels and compare it with similar products and always go with the one lowest in everything. I compare and contrast products ALL the time and believe this is a vital skill in eating better.Most products have the ‘each serving contains’ label on the packet. Take a closer look next time you go to the shops and familiarise yourself with the colour codes. If it has RED it means high in that nutrient so unless you’re really under doing it in that area then I would say put down the packet and step away from the shelf. ‘But while choosing healthier fats is better for your heart, when it comes to your waistline, all fats have about the same number of calories’ said one online source.


Self assessment: 


Sitting down and look at your week’s food diary and assessing the areas YOU think could do with adjusting is a great tool. Too much sugar or not enough carbohydrates may be affecting you weight loss. Keeping a record of your food and reviewing is very important, I believe. 


So remember....the right things, the right amount, knowing right from wrong and swapping this for that.



By Jasmine Wing


No comments:

Post a Comment